What the inspectors say…
Ofsted last visited the school on 21-22 April 2016; under section5 of the education act overall effectiveness was graded as good.
- Effectiveness of leadership and management – GOOD
- Quality of teaching, learning and assessment – GOOD
- Personal development, behaviour and welfare – GOOD
- Outcomes of pupils – GOOD
- 16 to 19 study programmes – GOOD
Areas of Strength
- Leaders have improved all aspects of the school since the last inspection. They have a good understanding of what is working well, and where further improvement is needed.
- The school is calm and orderly.
- Teaching has improved since the last inspection and pupils benefit from helpful feedback on how to improve their work.
- Pupils spoken to, say they receive good information about careers, feel safe and know how to stay healthy.
- Pupils have the opportunity to study a good range of subjects. Many participate in additional clubs, activities and trips.
- Sixth form students have achieved results consistently in vocational subjects and performance in A level subjects have improved strongly.
- Pupils have achieved GCSE results that match national results. Across different year groups, their achievement is improving in the large majority of subjects.
The academy is not yet outstanding because
- We need to improve the progress and attendance of some disadvantaged students.
- We need to improve the proportion of students achieving the highest grades.